Sunday, June 05, 2011

Matt's paradiddle thing

This is a straightforward paradiddle exercise I wrote up for one of my students. It ends up a pretty robust page of stuff when you run it in the sequences.

Practice each measure individually, then play them as follows:

Two or four times each:
1, 2, 1, 3, 1, 4... 2, 3, 2, 4, 2, 5... 3, 4, 3, 5, 3, 6... etc

Two-pattern sequences, one measure of each, repeated 2-4 times:
1-2, 1-3, 1-4... 2-3, 2-4, 2-5... 3-4, 3-5, 3-6...


Note that the sixtuplet patterns will reverse stickings on the repeat, which will make some interesting things happen when you get to the sequences. You can of course add variations to include accents on the doubles; I just wanted to keep it to a manageable size.

Download the pdf

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Todd congratulations. Fantastic exercise. One question. We play 1-2,1-3,1-4,....and we play follows two-patterns 1-13,1-14,1-15 etc.. We play the sixteenths with the sixtuplets? Thanks

Todd Bishop said...

Hey, Armando-- Right, when you combine patterns 1-12 with 13-24, you'll play two beats of 16th notes and two beats of sixtuplets.

BUT: You could make a measure of 5/4 with those combinations, by just playing exercises 13-24 as 16th notes in 6/8-- so the 16th notes are the same speed as the ones in #1-12. In fact, I think I'll practice that tonight...

Unknown said...

Hi Todd.I need a help and advice yours. Sometimes and especially in Latin grooves feel I Have difficulty in playing. difficulties in coordination. What you can and say in relation to my problem and that exercises can help me to improve coordination. thanks again